` Brevity is the soul of wit and so forth...

18/03/2014

Brevity is the soul of wit and so forth...

Impermanence, I have come to realise recently, is a huge part of life.

As my phone relentlessly lost charge and re-started itself over and over, as the electronic screen glared me in the face, as my files and memos disappeared one by one as I reset my phone, I was enlightened to the fact that none of these photos that I had taken in the past few months would be kept forever. The sim card could easily break and even if you back up all your photos and memos on to your laptop, there's nothing physical about them. They live in these electronic realms of existence which could break at any one time.
The same thoughts ran through my mind as I searched frantically around the house for our wifi password which I had written down on a small piece of paper. This tiny piece of paper could be hiding anywhere in the house, it may have journeyed somehow to the bin or escaped out the window in a bid for freedom. I eventually acquired the wifi from my Dad's computer where it was stored. I found it ridiculous how a physical piece of paper could be lost more easily than something stored electronically. My own thoughts contradicted themselves and now I sit here writing this blog post as I wonder whether anything could ever be permanent.

This goes for relationships too as I have discovered. Having fairly recently broken off a long-term relationship I had come to realise that all idealisation of the relationship lasting was always false. I suppose at our peak I considered spending the rest of my life with him. After so long it felt like I could never get away from it, like it should carry on forever - not because I wanted it to but because that's how I felt it ought to be. It was the longest relationship I have ever been in and  that made it quite difficult to come to terms with being single and independent. But, honestly, I know that in my future there may be several break ups that'll prove further, that relationships will not last forever. I know this sounds depressing but every relationship will end in a break up, divorce or death.

The not so depressing part is that impermanence isn't always a bad thing. Often the more enjoyment you have the faster it goes and it is in this fleeting excitement that you experience the best moments in life. Impermanence means you can try new things. You can weave in and out of relationships, work your way round the globe, eat delicious food. You'll savour these experiences solely for their brevity. And of course "Brevity is the soul of wit". Even the most simple experiences are like this: I wouldn't truly appreciate my hot cup of tea if the mug automatically filled up after each sip.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you should relish life's surprises and life's restlessness because sometimes euphoria can come in short bursts and the shorter the simpler. The simpler, the better you feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment