` Because the only people for me are the mad ones...

13/03/2014

Because the only people for me are the mad ones...

How do you define weird? Abnormal, different, odd, strange, eccentric. Oh, all the possibilities of weird.
When you think about it, there are an infinite number of oddities. And logic follows that not any one person could be normal. So then how do you define normal? Is it simply your public behaviour, what you choose to display to the world. Is it really the way that everyone usually acts? We are not clones.
There is a very fine line between normal and weird and that, in itself, is an absurd idea which I simply cannot get my head around.
I have often found that those who I attach myself to the most, are the ones whose minds are streaming with ideas and are willing to display those whether in writing or in person. Throughout my whole education I have found myself most at home with the most messed up, insane, wild, catastrophic kids, whether they're emotionally unstable, reckless, mischievous, argumentative or all of the above. It's as though I take a check list along to every new school I attend and become best friends for life with the one with the worst reputation. Bonkers? Check. An outcast? check.
I stick to them like a lost child pining for a guardian.Then I feed off the excitement and trouble they create.
I sit and wonder what these 'weird' people all have in common.
These are lost passionate souls, awake and thriving in the wilderness that is modern society. They are creative, intelligent beings that freely roam and discover the very edges of possibility. Their recklessness widens my own eyes and excites me. And I respect the mad and the lonely and the impossible because they have no cares for the thoughts of others, or perhaps too many cares. They either make themselves 'weird' or simply thrust their personality into the void. People come and go, observe and watch the creatures that lurk. It is like watching animals at a zoo. Pet the tame avoid the unpredictable.
Make friends with them? why would you? They're far too odd. Discuss them? Despise them from afar? It's all too easy to do that.
I introduce myself to the odd ones, to the interesting and the intelligent with fresh fruit in the form of ideas, growing in their brains. I consider why they express themselves in the way they do. Isn't that the most interesting part? But then, maybe I'm weird.

All I know for sure is that I have learnt this:
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars" 
- Jack Kerouac 'On the Road'

No comments:

Post a Comment