` You're a teenager not Nelson Mandela.

11/02/2014

You're a teenager not Nelson Mandela.

Essays and miracles are what I feel are expected of me on a daily basis as a student and a teenager. Making a mess of my bedroom? I'm flawless. Tweeting about how emotional Sherlock was? I could be a professional.
From the moment you start GCSEs, grenades are thrown at you with the pin out. You have to collect every single opportunity and find a way in or out before the whole thing blows up in your face. On top of all that we're expected to go to that amazing party, revise for everything, make time for family, tidy our rooms, exercise, learn the flute and tie ourselves in knots just to please everyone else. The media tell us we're reckless, drunken, socialites who spend our lives smoking weed, doing neknominations and getting pregnant. This Buzzfeed article gives a list of why, in actual fact, our generation is way more boring than ever before. Our parents were probably on far more drugs than we are and rebelled far more than we do.

The best trick performed at my secondary school was creating a collective hum whilst the whole school photo was being taken. I nearly got suspended for walking to the local sweet shop during school hours.When rebelling against the new headmaster we taped passport sized photos of the previous headmaster to various places around the school, including a poster of Mohammed Ali. No harm was done, no consequences, no success.
My parents have far better stories from their teen years than I ever will. I don't have time to run riot, drinking on hill tops, sleeping over in abandoned buildings or climbing on different roof tops. My to do list grows longer with every coursework assignment I must write, classic book I should read. The worst thing I'll do on a Tuesday night is eat cake in front of the first season of Game of Thrones.

If you're a parent reading this right now, go on twitter. If you read any teenager's twitter I guarantee you will find at least one tweet that complains about the sheer amount of miracles we're required to perform every day. Turn water into wine? Turn three books into a three thousand word essay whilst riding a bike up Mount Everest and reciting Hamlet cover to cover.
As the title says, you're a teenager, not Nelson Mandela.

No comments:

Post a Comment